Chemistry Research Guide
The main purpose of this research guide is to provide you an opportunity of one-stop shopping for relevant, useful and scholarly information about Chemistry, Biochemistry & allied subjects.
- CUNY+ Catalog
- Search for books at the Queens College libraries, as well as other CUNY libraries.
- Library Catalogs
- Search the library catalogs of regional libraries such as the Queens Library, Brooklyn Public Library, New York University, Columbia University, etc.
- New York Public Library
- Search CATNYP, the catalog of the research libraries at NYPL. Books at the research libraries are non-circulating and must be consulted on site. NYPL has one of the premier research collections in the country and is open to all New York State residents.
- Search for books in the national catalog for the United States and Canada. Includes holdings from libraries in other parts of the world, primarily European or English-speaking.
Encyclopedias & Dictionaries
- The ACS Style Guide: Effective Communication of Scientific Information. (Ref. QD8.5 .A25 1997)
- A Definitive source for all information needed to write, review, submit, and edit scholarly and scientific manuscripts. Thoroughly examines electronic tools now available to assist STM writers in preparing manuscripts and communicating with publishers.
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (Ref. QD65 .C88 1988)
- The ultimate book of facts about chemistry and physics. This is a book that covers virtually every element, every physical formula, and every mathematical table imaginable. Contains interlinked structure, property, reaction and bibliographic databases covering over 7 million organic substances and 5 million reactions.
- Chemical Research Faculties: An International Directory (Ref. QD40 .C4317 1996)
- A directory of academic research institutions and chemical societies, designed to enable researchers to locate colleagues by country, by academic institution, or by name. A statistical summary provides information on the number of full- and part-time faculty members, post-doctoral appointments, and graduate students enrolled in programs leading to master's and doctoral degrees.
- Encyclopedia of Biological Chemistry (Ref. QD415 .A25 E53 2004, 4 Vols.)
- This comprehensive encyclopedia covers all areas of biological chemistry written by more than 500 selected international experts addresses the fundamental discipline of biological chemistry underlying virtually all of the life sciences.
- Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology. (Ref. TP 9 .E685 1991)
- Provides a comprehensive treatise of applied chemical science and industrial technology, its methods and materials, and the latest scientific advances in every branch of the useful arts of chemistry.
- Macmillan Encyclopedia of Chemistry (Ref. QD4 .M33 1997, 4 Vols.)
- This unique 4-vol. set offers readers a complete overview of the broad spectrum of general chemistry. It enables them to obtain a basic yet thorough understanding of matter, the processes it undergoes, the principles that govern it and scientists who have been critical in the development of the field.
- Tables of Physical and Chemical Constants (Ref. QC61 .K3 1995)
- All the chemical data have been recalculated on the basis of the international atomic weights.
- Wiley Encyclopedia of Chemical Biology (Ref. QP512 .W48 2009 4 Vols.)
- The scope and structure of this book reflects the multidimensional character of chemical biology, focusing in particular on the fundamental science of biological structures and systems.
- American Chemical Society Journals
- ACS is the leading publisher of peer-reviewed research in the chemical and related sciences, serving scientific communities worldwide through a commitment to quality, reliability, and innovation.
- Derwent Innovations Index
- Provides patent information in the chemical, electrical and electronics, and mechanical engineering realms of technology. This includes patents in the areas of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, chemicals, plastics and polymers, medical devices and applications, agricultural and veterinary medicine.
- General Science Full Text
- Easy-to-use and designed specifically for students and non-specialists, General Science Full Text is the first place to look for answers to science-related questions. This database features full text, plus the graphs, charts, diagrams, photos, and illustrations that convey an abundance of scientific information.
- Science Citation Index Expanded
- Access to current and retrospective bibliographic information, author abstracts, and cited references from the leading scholarly science and technical journals in more than 150 disciplines.
- Science Direct (Elsevier)
- ScienceDirect has scholarly journals from the social, behavioral, health, and life sciences. Over 1250 journals within the collection have full-text articles available from 1995 to the present.
- SciFinder (QC Account Users Only)
- SciFinder provides intuitive searching and easy access to research literature in chemistry and chemical engineering through Chemical Abstract's CAPLUS, CASREACT, and REGISTRY databases, and MEDLINE's biomedical database. First-time users must set up an account here by using a QC computer workstation on campus.
- Web of Science
- Web portal to Arts & Humanities Citation Index, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Sciences Citation Index Expanded.
- Wiley Interscience
- Covers Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, Psychology Information.
- CHEMATIX™ (Chemical Inventory Management & Tracking Software), a full-spectrum chemical management solution designed to meet the specific requirements and responsibilities of scientists, researchers, regulatory officials and administrators in education, government and industry.
- ChemDraw is available as a free download. Follow the instructions at the AICT site to install.
- ChemSketch is available as freeware from the ACD/Labs website. Follow the instructions at the ACD/Labs site to install.
- Chemistry: The World-Wide Web Virtual Library
- Chemistry: Yahoo
- EINet's WWW Hub for Chemistry
- Exchemistry Directory—a collection of links for chemists and researchers involved in organic, biochemical, computational, medicinal and/or other chemistry research.
- NIST Virtual Library Chemistry Subject Guide
- Organic Chemistry Resources Worldwide
- Thermodynamics Research Laboratory—Classical, Nano, Quantum & Statistical Thermodynamics & Mechanics: Data and Property Calculation Sites on the Web
Associations & Societies
- Chemsoc—the Chemistry Societies Network
- American Chemical Society
- Canadian Society for Chemistry
- Chemical Heritage Foundation (Federation of European Chemical Societies)
- Chemical Structure Association Trust
- Laboratory of Physical Chemistry and Colloid Science
- International Liquid Crystal Society
- International Society of Heterocyclic Chemistry
- International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC)
- North American Catalysis Society
- Royal Society of Chemistry