Children's Literature Resources
Please visit the Educational Curriculum Center for additional resources.
- Children's Literature: A Guide to Information Sources (Ref. Z1037 .D35 1998)
- An annotated bibliography of mostly print and some online resources on children's literature.
- Children's Literature Dictionary (Ref. PN1008.5 .L38 2002)
- Everyone's Guide to Children's Literature (Ref. Z1037.A1 W37 1997)
- An annotated guide to children's literature in reference books, journals, special collections, and more.
- Handbook of Research on Children's and Young Adult Literature (Ref. PS121 .H22 2010)
- Research & Professional Resources in Children's Literature: Piecing a Patchwork Quilt (Ref. Z1037.A1 R46 1995)
- A book version of the breadth of resources available on children's literature.
- Something About the Author (SATA, Ref. PN 451 .S6)
- Since 1971, the basic resource providing biographical information, bibliographies of works, & critiques. The most recent volume providing the cumulative index will lead the researcher through the various volumes that have pertinent information about the desired author/illustrator.
- Something About the Author. Autobiography Series. (Ref. PN 497 .S66)
- 26 volume set providing autobiographical information about numerous authors & illustrators. Since 1998 this information has been incorporated into the basic SATA series.
- Children's Literature Review. (Ref. PN 1009 .A1 C5139)
- Since 1976, a complementary series to SATA, focusing on criticism of children's authors/illustrators. Includes excerpts from various reviews as well as citations to the complete articles.
- Black Authors & Illustrators Of Children's Books: A Biographical Dictionary, 2nd ed. (Ref. Z1037 .R63 1992)
Guides to Children's Books
- A to Zoo: Subject Access to Children's Picture Books (Ref Z1037. L715 2006)
- A print bibliography of picture books by subject. No reviews or evaluations of books.
- Book Links (Periodicals Z1037 .B7218. Available online from 11/1/98.)
- A monthly children's literature journal featuring bibliographies on assorted curricular topics, usually an assortment of realistic books, fiction, poetry, and even some multimedia.
- Children's Book Review Index (Reference, Table 23)
- A guide to reviews of children's books from 1965 to the present.
- Picture Books for Children, 4th ed./Patricia J. Cianciolo. (Ref. Z1037 .C565 1997)
- A guide with annotations to recent, quality picture books divided into the major categories of Me and My Family, Other People, The World I Live In, and The Imaginative World.
- Children's Literature Comprehensive Database (CLCD)
- A database that allows customized searches for full text children's book reviews by author, subject or genre. Includes links to notable book lists and award lists.
- Good Conversations
- Video interviews with children's authors and video discussion guides to selected children's books.
- Something About the Author
- This online version combines the hard copy resources Something About the Author and Something About the Author: Autobiography Series.
Children's Literature Web Sites
- Children's Literature Web Guide
- A tremendous database on children's literature, including recommended reading lists, author & illustrator sites, and links to many other useful sites. Great for background material, but not updated since 2001.
- Database of Award Winning Children's Literature
- Easy resource for creating book lists by topic, grade level, genre, or awards.
- Reading Rockets
- A source for video interviews of major children's authors & illustrators, as well as other literacy resources.