Modern Greek Research Guide
The purpose of this research guide is to introduce you to the variety of sources available to you as you begin your research on modern Greek language and literature at Queens College Libraries. It is organized according to:
- Census of Modern Greek Literature: Check-list of English-Language Sources Useful in the Study of Modern Greek Literature [1824–1987] (Ref. Z2294 .C8 .P46 1990)
- Makes known a wide variety of bibliographical sources, including journals, anthologies, collected essays, literary history, authors, etc.
- Encyclopedia of Modern Greek Literature (Ref. PA5210 .M44 2004)
- 800 entries of important authors, texts, themes and topics related to Greek literature from Byzantine period to the present. Also available electronically via Gale Virtual Reference Library.
- Greece (Ref. Z2281 .C58 1980)
- From the World Bibliographical Series vol. 17, a still-useful selection of mainly English-language sources, organized by subject; geography, population, language, religion, society, economy, the arts, etc.
- Oxford Dictionary of Byzantium (Ref. DF521 .093 1991, 3 vols.)
- Entries on Byzantine emperors, historical names and terms, including also bibliographies, covering the period from the 4th to 15th centuries.
- Oxford Greek-English Learner's Dictionary (Ref. PA1139 .E5 .S73 1990)
- Definitions, pronunciations, etc.
Books on Modern Greek Literature
- Introduction to Modern Greek Literature (PA5225 .B43 1999)
- Greek Modernism and Beyond: Essays in Honor of Peter Bien (PA5203 .G74 1997)
- Greek Writers Today: an Anthology (PA5273 .G74 2003)
Books on Modern Greek Poetry
- Folk Poetry of Modern Greece (PA5255 .B4 1980)
- Century of Greek Poetry: 1900–2000 (PA5289 .E6C46 2004)
- Modern Greek Poetry: An Anthology (PA5289 .E6 .M62 2003)
Browse for Books in Modern Greek Studies
Alternatively, browse the shelves of the Library in the following call number areas:
- Modern Greek literature: beginning with PA5200
- Modern Greek language: beginning with PA200
- Modern Greek history: beginning with DF700
- CUNY Catalog
- Search for books at the Queens College libraries, as well as other CUNY libraries.
- Library Catalogs
- Search the library catalogs of regional libraries such as the Queens Library, Brooklyn Public Library, New York University, Columbia University, etc.
- New York Public Library
- Search the catalog of the research libraries at NYPL. Books at the research libraries are non-circulating and must be consulted on site. NYPL has one of the premier research collections in the country and is open to all New York State residents.
- Search for books in the national catalog for the United States and Canada. Includes holdings from libraries in other parts of the world, primarily European or English-speaking.
Below are a few suggested humanities-related databases to search for journal articles that also cover modern Greek language and literature. You can use other databases depending on what topic you are researching.
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- Arts, humanities, literature, dance, archaeology and history. Citations to articles only.
- Humanities Full Text
- Full text articles from English language journals in the arts and humanities.
- Database of full text scholarly journal articles in many disciplines, including language and literature. Coverage is from the journal's first issue to about five years ago.
- Literature Resource Center
- Biographical and critical information on authors, explications, overviews of literature and a timeline of literary events from antiquity to the present.
- MLA International Bibliography
- Produced by Modern Language Association of America, covers scholarship related to literature, linguistics, folklore, literary theory, etc., with citations to journal articles, book chapters, and dissertations.
- Project Muse
- Full text scholarly and peer reviewed humanities journal articles in fields of literature and criticism, and cultural studies.
Journals and Newspapers
- The Charioteer (PA5273 .C45 no.1, 1960 to date), Modern Greek literature translated into English and published by the Parnassos Greek Cultural Society of New York
- Journal of Greek Linguistics
- Journal of Modern Greek Studies
- Greek Newspapers
Centers and Programs
- The Center for Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies at Queens College
- The Center also houses a 6,000 volume book collection on a variety of fields of Hellenic study, including the Byzantine period, arts, language, literature, politics, history, culture and society of Greece and Cyprus. Call for more information and hours of operation, at 718-997-4520.
- Modern Greek Program—European Languages and Literatures, Queens College
For more resources including links to Greek news and publications, schools, associations, culture, media, etc., consult:
A general reminder: You should always evaluate the accuracy of your sources wherever you find them, and think critically about the author's arguments. When in doubt, check with your Greek instructor.