Physical Education & Exercise Sciences Research Guide
The major purpose of class assignments is to write a paper based on your search of published literature. The purpose of the research guide is to introduce you to the process of literature searching and familiarize you with a variety of sources available.
Bibliographer for Physical Education & Exercise Sciences
Select a topic that is of interest to you. If in doubt, talk to your instructor regarding a chosen topic. You might want to seek help from reference librarians who are knowledgeable about search strategies necessary for locating needed information.
As an initial step of your research, gather background information of your topic in general and/or specialized encyclopedias or dictionaries. These reference sources provide useful overviews of a topic and may include in their bibliographies resources you can further use in your paper. Then, search the CUNY online catalog or other catalogs to locate relevant books.
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Encyclopedia of International Sports Studies (Ref. GV567 .E486 2006, 3 vols.)
- Encyclopedia of Sports Medicine (Ref. RC1206 .O355 2005)
- Encyclopedia of Sports Science (Ref. GV558 .E53 1997, 2 vols.)
- Encyclopedia of Women and Sports (Ref. GV709 .S44 1996)
- International Encyclopedia of Women and Sports (Ref. GV709 .I58 2001, 3 vols.)
- Oxford Dictionary of Sports Science and Medicine (Ref. RC1206 .O94 1998)
- The CUNY Catalog
- Search for books and other materials at the Queens College Libraries, as well as other CUNY libraries.
- Other Library Catalogs
- Search the library catalogs of regional libraries such as the Queens Library, Brooklyn Public Library, New York University, Columbia University, etc.
- Search for books in the national catalog for the United States and Canada. This database includes holdings from libraries in other parts of the world, primarily European or English-speaking.
- ACSM's Resource Manual for Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription (RC684.E9 A46 1998)
- Arnheim, D., Principles of Athletic Training (RC1210 .A75 2000)
- Pashkow, F.J., Clinical Cardiac Rehabilitation: A Cardiologist's Guide (RC684 .E9 C55 1999)
- Powers, S.K., Total Fitness and Wellness (RA781 .P66 2006)
- Shephard, R.J., Exercise and the Heart in Health and Disease (RC684 .E9 E94 1999)
- Wilber, R.L., Altitude Training and Athletic Performance (QP82.2 .A4 W54 2004)
Journal Articles (Search Databases)
Search online databases or periodical indexes to identify journal articles you want to read. A journal article is written by a scholar or an expert and provides a detailed analysis of a topic. Sometimes searching one database is not enough. Search multiple databases to obtain the most comprehensive information. You can find bibliographic citations to books and journal articles, as well as full text of some documents.
Most of the databases listed below are available for Queens College faculty and students through the library subscriptions and could be found on the QC Libraries Home page.
- Academic Search Complete
- Comprehensive source for scholarly journals in all academic disciplines. More than 8,000 publications are indexed, and full text is provided for 4500. Most are peer-reviewed. Searchable cited reference sources are provided for selected titles.
- ERIC (Educational Resource Information Center)
- Education, educational technology.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
- Scholarly journals in many medical disciplines. Includes Lexi-PAL Drug Guide, covering 1,300 generic drug patient education sheets with more than 4,700 brand names. For topics such as nursing, allied health, and prescription drugs.
- MEDLINE (EBSCO)
- Citations from Index Medicus, International Nursing Index, Index to Dental Literature, HISTLINE, SPACELINE, PREMEDLINE, AIDSLINE, BIOETHICSLINE, HealthSTAR, covering medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, health.
- Free access to biomedical information. Citations from Index Medicus, International Nursing Index, Index to Dental Literature, HISTLINE, SPACELINE, PREMEDLINE, AIDSLINE, BIOETHICSLINE, HealthSTAR, covering medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, health.
- Physical Education Index
- Feature a wide variety of content, ranging from physical education curricula, to sports medicine.
- ProQuest Databases
- Common menu listing ProQuest databases available at Queens College, such as Platinum Periodicals, and others.
- Sage Health Sciences
- Full-text articles from 26 journals for topics such as autism, aging, child psychology, clinical psychiatry, health care, nursing, and public health.
- Science Citation Index Expanded
- Access to current and retrospective bibliographic information, author abstracts, and cited references from the leading scholarly science and technical journals in more than 150 disciplines.
- Science Direct (Elsevier)
- Articles from over 900 journals in science, technology, and medicine.
- SPORTDiscus with Full Text
- The most comprehensive source for articles from sports and sports medicine journals. Provides full text for more than 430 journals.
Journals (Browse E-Journals)
Below is the list of selected electronic journals (E-Journals) available for Queens College faculty and students through the library subscriptions. Use Find E-Journals on our homepage to find more online journals available through the Library.
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Family Physician
- American Journal of Cardiology
- American Journal of Physiology (AJP)
- AJP: Cell Physiology
- AJP: Endocrinology and Metabolism
- AJP: Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology
- AJP: Heart and Circulatory Physiology
- AJP: Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology
- AJP: Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology
- AJP: Renal Physiology
- American Journal of Public Health
- Health Education and Behavior
- Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- Journal of Applied Physiology
- Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise
- New England Journal of Medicine
- The Physician and Sportsmedicine
- Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport
In addition, you might consider searching the Internet/World Wide Web to locate valuable information in your field of study published by the federal government or government agencies, professional societies, academic institutions or research centers. Always evaluate the quality of information you identify and retrieve.
Associations, Societies & Organizations
- American Academy of Kinesiology and Physical Education
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Council on Fitness
- American Kinesiology Association
- American Association for Physical Activity and Recreation
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- National Association for Kinesiology & Physical Education in Higher Education
- National Dance Association
- National Recreation and Park Association
- The New York State Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- Women's Sports Foundation