Finding Books, Scores, and Recordings in the CUNY Catalog
- Type your search terms in the search window (special characters, such as ., - are not allowed). For example, type “Rosen romantic generation” to find Charles Rosen’s book The Romantic Generation. To find recordings or scores, enter the composition title and composer. For example, “Carmen bizet” to find Carmen by Bizet.
- Select “Queens College” from the list of libraries.
- Scroll through results. Results are listed from most recent to oldest. In this example, you can see that The Romantic Generation is a book with an accompanying CD.
- Click on the “Queens Music” for the call number and location.
- Click on the title for more information (then click on Queens Music at the bottom of the page for the call number).
- Click on “Results List” to return to the search results.
- You will need both the call number and location to find the item.
- “On shelf” means the book is not checked out and should be on the shelf. If the item is checked out, a due date will appear in the “Due date” column.
- If you are searching all CUNY schools and find a book you need, click on “Request” and follow the directions to have the book delivered to the Queens College main library.
- To restrict your search to books, scores, or recordings use the “Guided Search” and select book, musical score, or sound recording from the format list in the lower left-hand corner.
- Click “Search” then click on the number after “View results.”
- Scroll through results and select the one you need. Click on “Queens Music” for the call number and location.
Once you have found what you need, go to the appropriate section of the Music Library.
|Main Floor (2nd floor) Map|
|Lower Level (1st floor) Map|
Stacks: all circulating books and scores
Ask for the following at Circulation Desk
- Circ CD, CD, Schwarz CD, DVD, Vid, LP, iPod
Look for the call number within the appropriate section.
- Call numbers are shelved in alphabetical and numerical order.
|Subclasses for Music:||M||Music scores|
|ML||Literature on Music|
|MT||Musical Instruction and Study|
|Harper-Scott, J. P. E. Edward Elgar, Modernist.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006.
|ML||literature on music|
|H37||J.P.E. Harper-Scott (author of book)|
|2006||date of publication|
|Brahms, Johannes. Symphony No. 1. New
York: M. Baron, [no date].
|1001||orchestral work (full score)|
|S91||Sympony No. 1|