ANTH 103 Course Guide (Introduction to Archaeology)
This is an introductory research guide to resources related to your course topics. The Queens College Department of Anthropology includes many useful links, especially in the Links section. Other Library resources in the sciences may also prove useful for your research.
Encyclopedias & Guides
When beginning research, specialized encyclopedias and other reference guides can often provide good background information on a topic. Many reference books are in printed format, while others are available in electronic resource collections such as:
General and Cultural Anthropology, Ethnology (Call number: Reference GN)
- Encyclopedia of Anthropology (Ref. GN11. E63 2005, 5 vols.)
- Encyclopedia of World Cultures (Ref. GN307 .E53 1991, 10 vols.)
- Illustrated Encyclopedia of Mankind (Ref. GN307 .I44 1989, 22 vols.)
- Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (Ref. GN333 .W67 1998, 4 vols.)
Archaeology (Call number: Reference CC)
- Concise Oxford Dictionary of Archaeology
- Encyclopedia of Archaeology (Ref. CC70 .E54 2008, 3 vols.)
- Oxford Companion to Archaeology (Ref. CC70 .O96 1996)
Human Evolution (Call number: Reference GN)
- Encyclopedia of Evolution (Ref. QH360.2 .E54 2002, 2 vols.)
- Encyclopedia of Human Evolution and Prehistory (Ref. GN281 E53 2000, 2nd edition)
- Handbook of Paleoanthropology (Ref. GN281 .H35 2006, 3 vols.)
- Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Human Evolution (Ref. GN281 .W534 2011, 2 vols.)
Native Americans (Call numbers: Reference E75-E77, F1434, F2229)
- Encyclopedia of Indians of the Americas (Ref. E53 .E52 [1974- ], 7 vols.)
- Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture (Ref. F1406 .E53 1996, 5 vols.)
- Encyclopedia of Mexico: History, Society & Culture (Ref. F1210 .E63 1997, 2 vols.)
- Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes (Ref. E77. G15 1998, 4 vols.)
- Handbook of Middle American Indians. Smithsonian Institution (Ref. F1434 H3, 16 vols.)
- Handbook of North American Indians. Smithsonian Institution (Ref. E76.2. H36, multivolumed, in progress.)
- Handbook of South American Indians. Smithsonian Institution (Ref. F2229. S75, 7 vols.)
Once you know the basics on your topic, search for more published scholarship, such as books, in the CUNY Catalog or other library catalogs. In addition to searching by keyword try searching by Subject Headings like those listed below:
- CUNY Catalog
- Search for books at the Queens College libraries, as well as other CUNY libraries. Request books from other CUNY libraries using the CUNY Book Delivery system, CLICS.
- Agriculture -- origin; Extinction (Biology); Glacial epoch; Human beings -- effect of environment on; Paleoecology; Traditional farming; Plants, cultivated -- history; Plant remains;
- Human Evolution
- Neanderthals; Fossil hominids; Hominids; Human evolution; Neanderthals;
- Peoples and Places
- Easter Island; Indians of Central America; Indians of North America; Indians of Central America; Mayas; North America -- antiquities; Paleo-indians; Paleolithic; Polynesians; Prehistoric peoples; Rapa Nui;
In addition to searching by keyword try searching by Subject Headings like those listed above for CUNY+ Catalog. Be aware that subject headings in a given database may be different from those in the Catalog as well as from those in other databases. Try using the Thesaurus in each database to learn its subject headings.
- General Science Full Text
- Abstracts of scholarly journal articles and science magazine articles.
- Multidisciplinary: Searchable full text journals. Retrospective, with most recent (usually 3–5 years) absent. Use other databases to retrieve current publications.
- Readers' Guide Full Text Mega
- Citations to magazine articles of general interest, on current events, etc.; from EBSCO (previously Wilson).
- Research Library
- Abstracts of scholarly journal articles, magazine articles, newspaper articles, trade publication articles; citations to book reviews; from Proquest.
- Social Sciences Full Text
- Abstracts of scholarly journal articles and social commentary magazine articles; citations to book reviews; from EBSCO (previously Wilson).