Hebrew and Yiddish Language and Literature Research Guide
The following guide aims at introducing you to the variety of research sources available to you in the field of Hebrew and Yiddish language and literature at Queens College Libraries.
Bibliographer for Hebrew and Yiddish Language and Literature
- For basic understanding of the subject, consult handbooks, dictionaries and bibliographies. A sample of suggested titles available in Benjamin Rosenthal Library (BRL) are listed under Reference Sources.
- Search for books in CUNY+ and other online library catalogs listed under Find Books. If you wish to browse the library book collection, you will find Hebrew and Yiddish books with call numbers PJ 4501 through PJ 5192 located on Level 5 of the BRL
- Search library databases for articles published in journals, magazines or newspapers listed under Find Articles
- Consult Associations or Web Gateways for any additional information on your subject
- Remember to evaluate the accuracy of your resources, and think critically about their arguments. When in doubt, check with your instructor
- Consult the guides listed under Citation Style Manuals to correctly cite your sources
- Bibliography of Modern Hebrew Literature in Translation
- Reference Level 3 Z 7070 .B52
- Comprehensive Etymological Dictionary of the Hebrew Language for Readers of English
- Reference Level 3 PJ4833 .K54 1987
- Dictionary of Popular Yiddish Words, Phrases, and Proverbs
- Reference Level 3 PJ5117 .K58 1997
- Guide to Jewish Themes in American Fiction, 1940–1980
- Reference Level 3 Z1231.F4 B52
- HebreWriters: A General Directory
- Reference Level 3 PJ5008 .H43 1993
- History of Yiddish Literature
- Reference Level 3 PJ5120 .L55
- JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words
- BM 50 .E47 2001
- Jewish Folklore: An Annotated Bibliography
- Reference Level 3 Z6374.F6 Y37 1986
- Milon Even-Shoshan
- Reference Level 3 PJ4830 .E924 2003
- Dictionary and Thesaurus of the Hebrew Language
- Reference Level 3 PJ4830 .B38
- Yiddish Language and Folklore, A Selective Bibliography for Research
- Reference Level 3 Z7070 .W4
- Yiddish Literary and Linguistic Periodicals and Miscellanies: A Selective Annotated Bibliography
- Reference Level 3 Z7070 .P72 1982
- Yiddish Word Book for English-Speaking People
- Reference Level 3 PJ5117 .R65
- Yidish-English-Hebreisher Verterbukh
- Reference Level 3 PJ5117 .H54 1988
- CUNY+ Catalog
- Search for books and other materials at the Queens College Libraries, as well as other CUNY libraries. For books on critical analysis of individual authors or their works, select search type “keyword in subject” and add terms criticism and interpretation to your specific search.
- New York Public Library
- Search CATNYP, the catalog of the research libraries at NYPL. Books at the research libraries are non-circulating and must be consulted on site. NYPL has one of the premier research collections in the country and is open to all New York State residents.
- Search for books and other materials in libraries worldwide.
Use the following databases (listed in rank order) to search for journal articles.
- MLA International Bibliography — The most scholarly and comprehensive database for articles and books on the modern languages, literatures, folklore, and linguistics.
- Humanities Full Text — Citations to articles in more than 600 general and specialized periodicals from across the humanities.
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts — Covers all fields of linguistics, including descriptive, historical, comparative, theoretical and geographical linguistics.
- RAMBI - The Index of Articles on Jewish Studies — Selective international bibliography listing periodical articles and book essays in the field of Judaica. Based primarily on the holdings of The Jewish National & University Library in Israel.
- Ethnic NewsWatch — An interdisciplinary full text database of the newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press. Includes full text coverage of New York Jewish Week, Jewish Social Studies, Jewish Advocate, Jewish Chronicle, Jewish News, Jewish Press.
- L'Annee Philologique — classics, English, Language & Literature
See the Hebrew and Yiddish Language and Literature Serials list and e-journal links on Rosenthal Library website.
- Association for Israel Studies
- Association for Jewish Studies
- National Association of Professors of Hebrew
- Society of Biblical Literature
Gateways and Websites
- Brandeis University LTS — Yiddish Studies
- Modern Hebrew Literature — a Bio-Bibliographical Lexicon
- Jewish Languages Research Website
- National Middle East Language Resource Center
- Yiddish Book Center
- Shtetl — Yiddish Language and Culture
- Jewish Virtual Library
- JTS — Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary — Digital Collections
Compiled by J. Nunnally, April 2011; updated by Prof. Taler, January 2012