Jewish Studies Research Guide
The following guide aims at introducing you to the variety of research sources available to you at Queens College Libraries.
- Select specific language within the field of Jewish Studies. Choose a topic that is interesting to you and which will work within your assignment's parameters.
- Search the topic in an encyclopedia, handbook or dictionary to gain basic understanding of the subject. A sample of suggested titles available in BRL are listed under Encyclopedias & Dictionaries.
- Search for books in CUNY+ and other online library catalogs listed under Find Books. To browse the library collection, use the general call numbers listed under Browse BRL Book Collection.
- Search library databases for articles published in journals, magazines or newspapers listed under Find Articles.
- Consult Associations or Web Gateways for any additional information on your subject.
- Remember to evaluate the accuracy of your resources, and think critically about their arguments. When in doubt, check with your instructor.
- Consult the guides listed under Citation Style Manuals to correctly cite your sources.
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Dictionary of Jewish-Christian relations (Ref. BM535 .D487 2005)
- Encyclopedia of American Jewish history (Ref. E184.35 .E53 2008)
- Encyclopedia of modern Jewish culture (Ref. DS102.8 .E56 2005)
- Encyclopaedia of Judaism
- Encyclopedia of Holocaust literature (Ref. PN56 .H55 E53 2002)
- Encyclopedia of Jewish life before and during the Holocaust (Ref. DS135.E8 E45 2001)
- Encyclopedia of Jews in the Islamic world (Ref DS135 .L4 E53 2010)
- Historical dictionary of the Holocaust (Ref. D804.25 .F57 1999)
- Holocaust encyclopedia (Ref. D804.25 .H66 2001).
- Holocaust encyclopedia (from: U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum)
- Jewish women in America: An historical encyclopedia (Ref. DS115.2 .J49 1998)
- Jewish writers of Latin America: A dictionary (Ref. PQ7081.3 .J49 1997)
- Oxford dictionary of the Jewish religion (Ref. BM50 .O94 1997)
- YIVO encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe (Ref DS135 .E8 Y578 2008)
- CUNY+ Catalog
- Search for books and other materials at the Queens College Libraries, as well as other CUNY libraries. For books on critical analysis of individual authors or their works, select search type “keyword in subject” and add terms criticism and interpretation to your specific search.
- New York Public Library
- Search CATNYP, the catalog of the research libraries at NYPL. Books at the research libraries are non-circulating and must be consulted on site. NYPL has one of the premier research collections in the country and is open to all New York State residents.
- Search for books and other materials in libraries worldwide.
- Browse Book Collection
- Use the Library of Congress classification guide which covers the areas of Jewish Studies to browse the Queens College Libraries' book collection.
Use the following databases (listed in rank order) to search for journal articles on a topic related to Jewish Studies.
- America: History and Life
- A comprehensive index of literature covering the history and culture of the United States and Canada, from prehistory to the present.
- Ethnic NewsWatch
- An interdisciplinary full text database of the newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press. Includes full text coverage of New York Jewish Week, Jewish Social Studies, Jewish Advocate, Jewish Chronicle, Jewish News, Jewish Press.
- Historical Abstracts
- Covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present.
- Index to Jewish Periodicals
- A print index published annually; available at Reference Table 7.
- MLA International Bibliography
- MLA International Bibliography indexes books, articles and dissertations published on modern languages, literatures, folklore, and linguistics, providing coverage from 1926 to the present.
- Humanities Source
- Offers full text plus abstracts and bibliographic indexing of the most noted scholarly sources in the humanities, as well as numerous lesser-known but important specialized magazines.
- RAMBI -The Index of Articles on Jewish Studies
- Selective international bibliography listing periodical articles and book essays in the field of Judaica. Based primarily on the holdings of The Jewish National & University Library in Israel.
For additional information, consult the following databases:
- Academic Search Complete
- International Political Science Abstracts
- Philosopher's Index
- Sociological Abstracts
Jewish Studies Periodicals
A list of Jewish Studies Serials, print and electronic, available in QC Libraries. Includes free e-journals.
Search for the exact periodical title (e.g. Tikkun) or browse the library's E-journals by subject: Social Sciences, Gender & Ethnic Studies—Ethnic & Race Studies.
- American Jewish Archives
- Association of Jewish Libraries, an excellent source for links to recommended internet resources and online catalogs
- Center for Jewish History
- Brandeis University Library
- Guide to Yiddish studies.
- Holocaust Resources on the Web
- A detailed list of internet resources published in February 2010 issue of College & Research Libraries News.
- Jewish Theological Seminary Library: Digital Collection
- The Sylvia and Harry Rebell Digital Collections.
- Judaic Studies E-Resources Guide
- An excellent guide created by University of Pennsylvania with links to resources and guides.
- Library of Congress: American Memory
- Digital collection searchable by subject.
- North American Jewish Data Bank
- Central repository of social scientific studies of North American Jewry.