Psychology Research Guide
The major purpose of class assignments is to write a paper based on your search of published literature. The purpose of the research guide is to introduce you to the process of literature search and familiarize you with a variety of sources available for you.
Select a topic that is of interest to you. If in doubt, talk to your instructor regarding a chosen topic. You might want to seek help from reference librarians who are knowledgeable about search strategies necessary for locating needed information.
As an initial step of your research, gather background information of your topic in general and/or specialized encyclopedias or dictionaries. These reference sources provide useful overviews of a topic and may include in their bibliographies resources you can further use in your paper. Then, search the CUNY online catalog or other catalogs to locate relevant books.
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- APA Dictionary of Psychology (Ref. BF31 .A65 2007)
- Corsini Encyclopedia of Psychology and Behavioral Science (Ref. BF31 .E52 2001, 4 vols.)
- Encyclopedia of Applied Psychology (Ref. BF636 .E52 2004, 3 vols.)
- Encyclopedia of Educational Psychology (Ref. LB1050.9 .E63 2008, 2 vols.)
- Encyclopedia of Health & Behavior (Ref. R726.5 .E53 2004, 2 vols.)
- Encyclopedia of Human Behavior (Ref. BF31 .E5 1994, 4 vols.)
- Encyclopedia of Industrial and Organizational Psychology (Ref. HF5548.8 .E498 2007, 2 vols.)
- Encyclopedia of Memory and Memory Disorders (Ref. BF371 .N55 2001)
- Encyclopedia of Psychology (Ref. BF31 .E52 2000, 8 vols.)
- Encyclopedia of School Psychology (Ref. LB1027.55 .E523 2005)
Handbooks, Manuals, etc.
- Comprehensive Handbook of Psychological Assessment (Ref. BF176 .C654 2004, 4 vols.)
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV, 4th ed. (Ref. RC455.2.C4 D54 1994)
- Handbook of Perception and Action (Ref. BF311 .E59113 1995, 3 vols.)
- Handbook of Psychophysiology (Ref. QP360 .P7515 2007)
- Psychologists' Desk Reference (Ref. RC467.2 .P78 2005)
- Research Methods in Psychology (Ref. BF76.5 .E44 2006, 8th edition)
- Steven's Handbook of Experimental Psychology, 3rd ed. (Ref. BF 181 .H336 2001, 4 vols)
- Thesaurus of Psychological Index Terms, 9th ed. (Ref. Z695.1 .P7 T48 2001)
APA Style (Citing Guides)
- Concise Rules of APA Style (Ref. BF76.7 .C66 2005)
- Pocket Guide to APA Style (BF76.7 .P47 2004)
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 5th ed. (Ref. BF76.7 .P83 2001)
- The CUNY Catalog
- Search for books and other materials at the Queens College Libraries, as well as other CUNY libraries.
- Other Library Catalogs
- Search the library catalogs of regional libraries such as the Queens Library, Brooklyn Public Library, New York University, Columbia University, etc.
- Search for books in the national catalog for the United States and Canada. This database includes holdings from libraries in other parts of the world, primarily European or English-speaking.
Journal Articles (Search Databases)
Search online databases or periodical indexes to identify journal articles you want to read. A journal article is written by a scholar or an expert, and provides a detailed analysis of a topic. Sometimes, searching one database is not enough. Search multiple databases to obtain the most comprehensive information. You can find bibliographic citations to books and journal articles, as well as full text of some documents.
Most of the databases listed below are available for Queens College faculty and students through the library subscriptions and could be found on the QC Libraries Home page.
- Academic Search Complete
- Comprehensive source for scholarly journals in all academic disciplines. More than 8,000 publications are indexed, and full text is provided for 4500. Most are peer-reviewed. Searchable cited reference sources are provided for selected titles.
- Annual Reviews of Psychology
- Provides definitive critical reviews of the scientific and social scientific research literature of 34 disciplines.
- Counseling and Therapy in Video
- Online videos for the study of social work, psychotherapy, psychology, and psychiatric counseling. NOTE: Access is limited to three (3) simultaneous users. Subjects: Educational Technology, Health & Medicine, Psychology, Sociology.
- ERIC (Educational Resource Information Center)
- Education, educational technology.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Cross-searchable database of over 300 recent reference titles. Contains many multivolume encyclopedias in a variety of subject areas from business to education to medicine.
- 500+ core journals in the arts, humanities, social sciences, and sciences. Cover-to-cover full-text from a journal's first issue until about five years ago.
- MEDLINE (EBSCO)
- Citations from Index Medicus, International Nursing Index, Index to Dental Literature, HISTLINE, SPACELINE, PREMEDLINE, AIDSLINE, BIOETHICSLINE, HealthSTAR, covering medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, health.
- Free access to biomedical information. Citations from Index Medicus, International Nursing Index, Index to Dental Literature, HISTLINE, SPACELINE, PREMEDLINE, AIDSLINE, BIOETHICSLINE, HealthSTAR, covering medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, health.
- Mental Measurements Yearbook
- Psychology, education.
- Peer-reviewed journal articles and book reviews in psychology from 63 journals. Fifty are published by the American Psychological Association (APA), and thirteen from allied organizations.
- Citations and summaries of scholarly journal articles, book chapters, books, and dissertations, in the field of psychology and related disciplines, such as psychiatry, pharmacology, nursing. Covers psychological aspects of the social sciences.
- Sage Health Sciences
- Full-text articles from 26 journals for topics such as autism, aging, child psychology, clinical psychiatry, health care, nursing, and public health.
- Sage Psychology
- Full-text articles from 34 peer-reviewed journals, for topics such as family studies, language acquisition, learning disabilities, neuropsychology, and personality.
- Science Direct (Elsevier)
- Articles from over 900 journals in science, technology, and medicine.
- Social Sciences Citation Index
- Access to current and retrospective bibliographic information, author abstracts, and cited references from the leading scholarly science and technical journals in more than 150 disciplines.
- Sociological Abstracts
- International literature in all topics of sociology including criminology, demography, family, and social welfare. Abstracts to journal articles, book chapters, dissertations, and conference papers, and citations to book reviews.
- Web of Science
- Web portal to the citation indexes for the arts & humanities, social sciences, and sciences.
- Wiley Interscience
- Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, Psychology.
Journals (Browse E-Journals)
This is a list of some psychology-related electronic journals. Use Find E-Journals on the QC Libraries Home page to find more online journals available through the Library.
- Acta Psychologica
- Addictive Behaviors
- Aggressive Behavior
- American Behavioral Scientist
- American Journal on Mental Retardation
- Applied Cognitive Psychology
- Behavior Modification
- Biological Psychology
- Brain Research
- Brain Research Protocols
- Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Clinical Psychology Review
- Cognitive Psychology
- Eating Behaviors
- European Journal of Social Psychology
- In Session: Psychotherapy in Practice
- Journal of Affective Disorders
- Journal of Anxiety Disorders
- Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology
- Journal of Economic Psychology
- Journal of Environmental Psychology
- Journal of Experimental Child Psychology
- Journal of Experimental Social Psychology
- Journal of Pediatric Psychology
- Journal of School Psychology
- Memory and Cognition
- New Ideas in Psychology
- Psychology of Sport and Exercise
- Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology: Section A
- Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology: Section B
- Social Psychology
- Trends in Cognitive Sciences
In addition, you might consider searching the Internet/World Wide Web to locate valuable information in your field of study published by the federal government or government agencies, professional societies, academic institutions or research centers. Always evaluate the quality of information you identify and retrieve.
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Office of Behavioral & Social Sciences Research
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Associations, Societies & Organizations
- American Counseling Association
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- Association for Psychological Science
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology
- The Gateway to Post Traumatic Stress Disorders (National Center for PTSD, Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma, Gift From Within, National Center for Victims of Crime)
Universities and Colleges
- Psychology Department, Queens College, City University of New York (CUNY)
- Psychology (Graduate Center, CUNY, Mina Rees Library)
- PsychScholar (John Krantz, PhD, Hanover College, IN)