School Of Music
Office hours & location
Aaron Copland School of Music
Queens College C.U.N.Y.
65-30 Kissena Blvd.
Queens, NY 11367-1597
Mon-Thurs 9:00 am - 4:45 pm
Friday 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Our office will be closed on Fridays through August 8.
Advisors: Marcy Rosen (instrumental majors), James John (vocal majors)
Degree Requirements for the Master of Music in Classical Performance (MM)
These requirements are in addition to the general requirements for Master’s degrees, listed elsewhere in this Bulletin.
- A student normally majors in one of four areas: an orchestral instrument, a keyboard instrument, voice, or conducting (orchestral or choral).
- Students complete 36 credits, perform a public recital, and write program notes on their recital repertoire. The degree requires 4 semesters. Classical performers normally enroll as full-time students. Required classes and ensembles are held both during the day and in the evening.
- Orchestral instrumentalists play in Orchestra during each semester of residence. Singers participate in Opera Workshop, Vocal Ensemble, or chamber music during each semester of residence. Keyboard majors participate in chamber music during each semester of residence. Conductors attend rehearsals of appropriate ensembles (orchestra or chorus) and participate in regularly scheduled workshops during each semester of residence.
- The following examinations must be passed during the course of study:
- (a) Students take the Theory Qualifying Exam in music theory and musicianship before registering for their first semester. Each of the examination’s four parts (harmonization, sight singing, dictation, and keyboard harmony) must be passed before graduation. Those students who fail in any part of the exam will consult the Graduate Advisor for coursework or other recommended study.
- (b) Students are tested in the history of music before registering for their first semester. Those who need further work in this area will consult the Graduate Advisor for coursework or other recommended study.
- (c) Students take an examination in foreign-language musical terms.
- Undergraduate Programs
- General Education Requirements
- Music Courses
- General Information
- Degree Requirements
- Non-Degree Programs
- Non-Curricular Requirements
- Music Listening Lists
- Music Education
- Semester Plan
- Declaring a Major
- Undergraduate Advisors