Welcome to STC
FAQs about STC
Application to STC
What We Do
Teacher's Web Resources
Professional Development of Science
Thomas A. Gardner Science
Teacher Endowment Fund
QC Secondary Education Dept.
QC Physics Department
SCIENCE TEACHER CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
For Undergraduates only*
Biology-Education major Consult the Biology-Education advisor for changes or updates
Chemistry-Education major Consult the Chemistry-Education advisor for changes or updates
Geology-Education major Consult the Geology-Education advisor for changes or updates
Physics-Education major Consult the Physics-Education advisor for changes or updates
New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (NYSTCE):
1. Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST)
2. Assessment in Teaching Skills Written (ATS-W)
3. Content Specialty Test (CST)
Workshop Seminars (approx. 2 hours each):
1. Child Abuse Identification
2. School Violence Prevention
3. Substance Abuse Identification
* For applicants having a Liberal Arts or accepted Bachelor's or
higher Degree, Science Teacher Careers in dual advisement with the Secondary Education program of SEYS, provides an alternate track for NY State science teacher
This includes the completion of:
- A required minimum, for certification, of a total of 36 approved credits in science, including those courses
taken outside of Queens College, Thirty or more credits must be in the science area of certification, e.g. Biology, Chemistry, etc.
- The completion of the Secondary Education Graduate ACP for initial science teacher certification consisting of 21 credits in science education including Student Teaching.
- The successful completion of the NYS Certification Examinations and Workshop Seminars listed above.